Thursday, December 1, 2016

First Night Away

As a working mom, my job at times requires me to travel. I have been lucky that the first year of the toddler's life I haven't been asked to. Earlier this fall my boss called me into her office and informed me that I would be attending a conference in Indianapolis. I was excited, as I've been to this particular conference in the past and I knew it would be a good one. However, at the same time I was nervous. I knew the girls would be in good hands as they were staying with their Dad. The toddler still wakes up at least once at night to nurse. She still loves her nursing sessions. Many people have told me to end them, but honestly, I am ok if she continues until she is ready to wean.

My coworker and I left for Indy early Tuesday morning. I had set the girls clothes out and made my oldest lunch and left it all ready for the day. Once we arrived, it was a busy day. Workshops were about an hour and a half long with 30 minutes in between them for a break. During the break I rushed to the next one as they filled up quickly and I didn't want to be stuck with a workshop I didn't want to attend.  The day flew by.

I called home and checked in a couple of times and all was good. The toddler whined a little when she got home (she usually nurses) but was easily distracted with food and toys.

The coworker and I skipped the reception and went out for a meal at Weber's. I was torn between ordering steak or bbq. I am more of a bbq fan than I am a steak fan. I went ahead and ordered a combination of ribs and brisket. I had a hard time choosing sides, but in the end I chose to stick with the yummy carbs, garlicky mashed potatoes, and mac n cheese.

Afterwards, we decided to brave the cold night, in a city we really do not know, and head to a local bar for a drink. We both ordered the special, long island ice tea, boy was it powerful!!! One was plenty. We quickly headed back to the hotel after our drink and sat in the hotel bar area and ordered one more beer before calling it a night.

I was really hoping the drinks would help me relax. I called home once more and said my good nights. At 1:30 I woke up and frantically searched for the toddler. Then I remembered where I was at. I called home once more and they were all asleep. I fell back to sleep and before I knew it, it was time for another day full of workshops.

My night away from home wasn't too bad. The girls did fine. I was told at home that the toddler woke up once screaming her head off, but was quickly settled back to sleep with a warm bottle of milk. We shall see what happens next time.

All in all, I'm glad to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment